Spinach Salad with Herbs and Warm Cashew Dressing
Rich is iron and calicium, spinach is a nutirent dense supergreen. I like baby spinach for this salad. This salad is great on its own, but my favorite way to serve it is over a bed of cooked Kite Hill spinach “ricotta” ravioli for a quick dinner. Kite Hill makes wonderful vegan cheeses, yogurts and ravioli and are available at Whole Foods. The dressing can be made the day before.
Preheat the oven to 375°
Set the garlic on a sheet of foil, drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil and wrap up. Roast for 30 minutes, until soft.
Make the dressing. Squeeze the garlic from its skin and place in a high speed blender. Add the cashews, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, and shallot to the blender. Pureé until smooth. With the blender on, slowly stream in the olive oil until the dressing is creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour the dressing into a small saucepan. Heat the dressing over moderately low heat, whisking occasionally, until it is warm.
Place the ravioli in a large at serving bowl. Top with the spinach, parsley, chives and basil. Pour the dressing over the salad and serve with lemon parmesan.
- 7 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 1 hour, drained
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp finely chopped shallot
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 oz baby spinach, washed
1⁄4 cup parsley leaves
2 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp basil, finely chopped
- 2 pkg Kite Hill spinach ricotta ravioli, cooked according to package directions (see resources)
- lemon cashew parmesan, page TK