Ground Cherry Salsa
Are you ready to play a flavor game? Quick, pick a cup. Bingo! Now for a trick question: what looks like a small, yellow tomatillo, but tastes like mango-meets-pineapple? Answer: its real name is Physalis Pruinosa, but you may know them as Ground Cherries. These tiny little gems pack a sweet tropical punch!
Today we are doing a take on a timeless appetizer — chips and salsa. Ground cherries add a wonderful flavor variation and thickness to the usual salsa suspects! Your taste buds will thank you. If you cannot find fresh Ground Cherries at your local farmer’s market, Golden Berries are a good substitute. Even dried versions can be used; just soak overnight and drain before using.
Recipes are online for both Fresh Ground Cherry Salsa and dried Golden Berry Salsa. Double the flavor! Salsas are very flexible... if you thirst for more heat, add more chilies. Not a cilantro fan? Swap for parsley or mint. Serve with white, blue, or yellow tortilla chips.
Fresh ground cherry salsa – Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse to combine. Taste and adjust the salt, if necessary. Pour into a serving bowl. Serve with tortilla chips.
Dried golden berry salsa – Place all the ingredients, except for the Sungold tomatoes, in a food processor and pulse to a chunky consistency. Add the Sungold tomatoes and pulse a few times to combine. Taste and adjust the salt, if necessary. Pour into a serving bowl. Serve with tortilla chips.
makes 1 pint
FRESH GROUND CHERRY SALSA
- 1½ cups ground cherries, husks removed and washed
- 3 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 7 Sungold tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp hot banana chiles, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, juiced
- ¼ tsp pink sea salt
GOLDEN BERRY SALSA
- ½ cup dried golden berries, soaked for at least 1 hour in hot water
- a large slice of dried mango, soaked for at least 1 hour in hot water
- ¼ cup fresh pineapple
- 4 scallions, white part only, coarsely chopped
- 1 large serrano, seeded and minced
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves
- half of a lime, juiced
- 2 tsp Aleppo chili pepper
- 1 tsp agave
- ¾ tsp pink sea salt
- 1 cup Sungold cherry tomatoes, coarsely chopped