There are many versions of Pozole verde, a traditional meat stew from Mexico, made from dried white corn kernels (called posole in the United States). It is spicy, savory, earthy, and delicious. I’ve adapted my recipe to be vegan without missing any of the flavor. Soak the posole the night before. This green posole takes 2–3 hours to cook and will fill your kitchen with wonderful aromas. The posole is finished when the corn kernels soften and plump open. The best posole is available at Rancho Gordo.
In a large pot, bring the white corn posole and water to a boil. Turn off heat, cover pot, and let rest overnight. Drain. Fill the large pot again with fresh water and add the drained posole. Bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 2 hours, or until the posole softens and plumps open. Drain and set aside.
Combine tomatillos, onion, poblanos, jalapenos, garlic, cilantro, and oregano in a blender (you may have to do this in 2 batches). Pulse until coarsely chopped, scraping down the side. With the blender on, add 1 cup of water and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
In a large pot, heat the olive oil. Add the tomatillo puree and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the sauce turns a deep green, about 12 minutes. Add the cooked posole, sweet potato, quinoa, and vegetable broth and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 30 minutes, or until the sweet potato is tender. Serve the posole in deep bowls, passing the cabbage, radishes, onion, avocado, tortilla strips and lime wedges at the table.
serves 8 to 10
- 16 oz dry Rancho Gordo white corn posole
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked, washed and halved
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2 poblano peppers, cored, seeded, and quartered
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and quartered
- 4 large garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 tbsp dried oregano leaves
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large white sweet potato, peeled and finely diced
- ¼ cup black quinoa
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Finely shredded cabbage, sliced radishes, chopped scallions, diced avocado, tortilla strips and lime wedges