Green Bean Salad with Coconut Dressing
This salad is inspired by the flavors of Thailand. I have always loved Thai food, but I was especially mesmerized by the cuisine when I traveled there a few years ago. Sweet yet spicy, this dressing could work with any kind of fresh or dried bean, such as snake or butter beans.
Toast the sliced almonds in a dry skillet until golden brown and fragrant. Set aside to cool.
Place the lime juice, Fresno chilies, garlic, coconut sugar and ginger in a food processor and pulse to combine. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in the coconut milk and toasted coconut. Add the mint. Season with salt and pepper.
Steam the beans until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain in a colander, then place the beans in an ice water bath until cool. Drain in a colander, shaking off the excess water, then place on a kitchen towel to dry.
Place the spinach in a large, shallow serving bowl. Place the beans over the spinach. Spoon the dressing over. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with julienned carrots and additional mint chiffonade.
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 4 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 red Fresno chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 5 oz full fat coconut milk
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut, lightly toasted
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, chiffonade, plus more for garnish
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- ½ lb haricot verts, trimmed
- 10 oz fresh baby spinach