Caramelized Shallot Bruschetta with Ricotta and Roasted Cherries
Bruschetta is an Italian antipasto and a wonderful way to start a meal. Bruschetta at it's most basic form is toasted Italian bread with toppings like chopped fresh tomatoes, basil, and olive oil. Caramelized shallots carry the flavor weight in this recipe. Shallots are available year-round but this recipe is best made during summer cherry season. Make the shallots and roasted cherries the day before you want to serve these delicious toasts.
Preheat the oven to 400˚
Heat 2 tbsp of avocado oil in a 12″ skillet. Add half of the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to a bowl and repeat with the remaining shallots
Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl toss the pitted cherries with the coconut sugar, bourbon, and salt. Pour onto a 13″ x 18″ baking tray lined with parchment paper. Roast for 25 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through, until tender. Let cool.
To make the ricotta – Put all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until combined. Taste and adjust salt, if necessary.
Toast both sides of baguette slices on a baking sheet until golder brown. Rub the cut side of garlic on each toasted slice.
To serve – Spread 1 tbsp of ricotta on each slice. Top each slice with some cherries and caramelized onions. garnish with chopped chives and a pinch of apple cider vinegar powder.
- 2 pounds fresh shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ pink Himalayan sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 oz dark sweet cherries, pitted and cut in half
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp bourbon, such as Buffalo Trace Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- ¼ tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- 14 oz firm tofu
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- ½ tsp lactic acid
- ½ tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1 baguette, sliced on a diagonal
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled, cut in half
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- apple cider vinegar powder